Best Bites: One-pot lasagna soup
Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for the at-home foodie. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new episodes!
Put a spin on family lasagna night with this delicious, one-pot lasagna soup. It has all the flavor and taste of a lasagna dish, but without the work! Made with spicy tomato sauce, ricotta and noodles, this recipe will simplify your weeknight dinners. Make sure to add a sprinkle of fresh parmesan for the finale.
- 1 pound lean ground beef or half Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 24 oz. jar Prego Traditional Italian Sauce
- 8-10 cups low sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 14 oz. can can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tsp EACH dried parsley, dried oregano, salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 10 uncooked lasagna noodles broken into approx. 1-2 inch pieces*
- 1/2 cup heavy cream,optional**
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- freshly finely grated Parmesan cheese
- ricotta cheese
- Heat large Dutch oven/large soup pot over medium high heat. Add beef and onion and cook, stirring occasionally until beef is browned. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and saute for 30 seconds. Drain off any excess fat.
- Add Prego Sauce, 6 cups chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, sugar, spices and lasagna noodles. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer until lasagna noodles are tender, stirring occasionally (approximately 20-30 minutes).
- Discard bay leaf and stir in heavy cream (optional) and 2-4 cups chicken broth to reach desired consistency. Garnish individual servings with desired amount of cheeses.