A new study finds women get paid less than men, even in a place where you wouldn't think gender plays a role: eBay auctions.
SEE ALSO: New study finds marijuana doesn't cause clinical anxiety or depression
Researchers looked at more than a million eBay transactions and found women made, on average, just 80 cents for every dollar men made when selling identical products, like new iPod shuffles.
When it comes to salary pay gaps, one common explanation is negotiations — that women don't haggle as much. But the researchers say auction sites like eBay make that irrelevant since the buyer and seller barely interact at all.
And it's not that women were more likely to undervalue their merchandise — in fact, they tended to set higher prices than men did for the same items.
So how do buyers know the seller's gender? It's not listed on eBay profiles, but the researchers say buyers are pretty good at figuring it out anyway and may do so automatically.
Given clues like the seller's username and a peek at the other items the seller has for sale, people were far more likely to correctly guess the seller's gender than they were to get it wrong.
SEE ALSO: America's most sleep-deprived states, as reported by CDC
And just to drive the point home, the researchers also asked people a simple question: How valuable is a gift card?
Even for the exact same $100 Amazon gift card, people rated it as being several dollars more valuable if the seller were named Brad than if the seller were named Alison.
Interestingly, when it comes to used products, the pay gap almost — but not quite — disappears. The researchers think people might trust women more when it comes to describing a used product's condition.
Check out this crazy story of a guy listing his ex-girlfriend's vacation on eBay!
- Latest mortgage news: 30-year rate edges up
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Don't Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- 18 ways to embrace Barbiecore mania — for under $300
- Speech therapist is going viral for teaching little ones how to say no
- Pickles are having a moment, and pickle lovers will relish these recip…
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!