Ohio boy sets apartment on fire trying to kill bed bug

A 13-year-old boy from Ohio caused $300,000 in damage after sparking an apartment building blaze in efforts to kill a bed bug.

Local fire officials said they responded to the fire Tuesday night when the boy reportedly set the building aflame after putting a lit match to a bed bug doused in alcohol, Fox 19 reported.

RELATED: Crazy bed bug infestations

19 PHOTOS
Bed bug infestations
See Gallery
Bed bug infestations
Bed bug poop after a severe infestation #yegbedbugdog #bedbugfeces #infested https://t.co/quMkrl3A5f https://t.co/4VtAsFIuij
Horrible bed bug infestation at Path homeless shelter in Los Angeles https://t.co/zOrkHzZ8Xc https://t.co/DBuZEA5L22
My bed bug story. Read about it and learn how to prevent infestation and eliminate them. https://t.co/8JOS93i0zT https://t.co/9fGPCKZKn3
School Deep Cleaned After Bed Bug And Rodent Infestation https://t.co/QiUPnhoI0h https://t.co/ipkBbFALbP
"Bed bug infestation" #cool #wtf #pics https://t.co/TWuZxEvidS
Bed bug infestation temporarily closes Alabama fire station https://t.co/zczNRIkCTG https://t.co/yXqrW1vNvN
Worst Bed Bug Infestation Ever! #bedbugs #infestation #KnowBedBugs #WeHaveAPlan https://t.co/QUJp97SpRz https://t.co/20kQmMcTyw
Alabama fire station closed because of bed bug infestation https://t.co/GQWneFj2WB https://t.co/kTO2q4Sgdx
Deja vu with hotel bed bugs news: "Bed bug infestation at Lisbon holiday apartments left woman in agony"… https://t.co/SZ0e0bov4K
"Bed Bug infestation" #cool #wtf #pics https://t.co/LZB1DitIjM
I was going to bed when I felt something crawling in my sheets. turns out i had a bed bug infestation. I'm disguste… https://t.co/N1fMkiRSco
My bed bug story. Read about it and learn how to prevent infestation and eliminate them. https://t.co/8JOS930pIl https://t.co/OqoB07R4uf
This Is A Traveler's Worst Nightmare -- A Bed Bug Infestation On A Long Bus Ride - https://t.co/KTVYrNj9BI https://t.co/jTaJmQInq9
This Is A Traveler's Worst Nightmare -- A Bed Bug Infestation On A Long Bus Ride https://t.co/q1j10myE0o https://t.co/8hgRLazaSQ
Tenants upset over bed bug infestation https://t.co/JWVgpEPbEJ https://t.co/498mLJGZSj
Bed bug infestation at a flat in #Croydon https://t.co/WSnAWDiwRa
Not to be confused with our current/hopefully former bed bug infestation that did this to me https://t.co/kQT9FzX4sT
Well it looks like Montreal's having another big bed bug infestation. WARNING: Don't stay in hotels here... https://t.co/gBcvIKHybW
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

“This was accidental. He wasn’t in there just playing with matches,” District 3 Chief Marc Monahan told the local Cincinnati outlet. “It wasn’t the smartest thing, obviously, but he was trying to get rid of a bed bug.”

According to the fire department, the young boy figured the flame would send the bed bug back to wherever he came from.

SEE ALSO: Caretaker charged with manslaughter after 96-year-old woman killed by bed bugs

Unfortunately, the noble boy's efforts were thwarted after the match caught his bed on fire, which later spread from his home to six others.

The American Red Cross is reportedly assisting the displaced residents.

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.