Melania Trump fires back over Kathy Griffin's 'very disturbing' Trump beheading photo

In a statement released on Wednesday, first lady Melania Trump called the controversial photo of comedian Kathy Griffin holding a fake severed head of President Trump "very disturbing" and said the contents of the picture "makes you wonder about the mental health" of the photographer.

SEE ALSO: Barron Trump reportedly thought image of Trump's severed head was real

"As a mother, a wife, and a human being, that photo is very disturbing," she said in a message.

The first lady also placed the disturbing picture in the context of "atrocities happening in the world today" saying "a photo opportunity like this is simply wrong and makes you wonder about the mental health of the person who did it."

Click through reactions to Kathy Griffin's photo with Trump's severed head:

The president himself responded to the controversial photo earlier in the morning, saying Griffin "should be ashamed of herself" and that his family was having a hard time dealing with the image, especially his youngest son Barron.

Photographer Tyler Shields defended the photo following intense backlash on Tuesday saying, "It's art. I cannot stress enough that I respect the presidency of the United States and would never want anyone to be killed."

SEE ALSO: Trump tweets Kathy Griffin 'should be ashamed of herself'

Griffin, who initially stood behind the image, shifted her tone after the outraged surged and she soon after released a video apology.

"I sincerely apologize," she said in a video.

"I am just now seeing the reaction of these images. I'm a comic. I crossed the line. I move the line, then I cross it. I went way too far. The image is too disturbing. I understand how it offends people. It wasn't funny. I get it."