Father issues warning to parents after baby chokes on pacifier

A father issued a warning to parents online after he found his 18-month-old daughter blue in the face while chewing a popular teething device.

In a post that quickly went viral, Earl Wilson took to Facebook to warn parents of the dangers of pacifiers, specifically the Tommee Tipp Closer to Nature Soother brand.

Wilson says he was concerned when he heard muffled noises coming from his young daughter's bedroom -- But he was terrified when met with the sight of his daughter choking on a pacifier nipple that had been lodged in her throat, cutting off her air supply.

RELATED: See some of last year's most dangerous toys

11 PHOTOS
10 most dangerous toys of 2016
See Gallery
10 most dangerous toys of 2016

Peppa Pig's Muddy Puddles Family (considered hazardous by WATCH due to the potential for choking injuries)

Photo: Toysafety.org

KidsTime US/Appease Toys: Baby Children's Elephant Pillow (potential for suffocation)

Photo: Toysafety.org

Slimeball Slinger (potential for eye injuries)

Photo: Toysafety.org

Banzai Bump n' Bounce Body Bumpers (potential for impact injuries)

Photo: Toysafety.org

Nerf Rival: Apollo XV-700 Blaster (potential for eye injuries)

Photo: Toysafety.org

The Good Dinosaur: Galloping Butch (potential for puncture wound injuries)

Photo: Toysafety.org

Peppy Pups (potential for strangulation injuries)

Photo: Toysafety.org

Flying Heroes: Superman Launcher (potential for eye and facial injuries)

Photo: Toysafety.org

Baby Magic: Feed n' Play Baby (potential for ingestion injuries)

Photo: Toysafety.org

Warcraft: Doomhammer (potential for blunt impact injuries)

Photo: Toysafety.org

HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

"If it wasn't for my wife's quick thinking, I'd hate to think what would have happened," Wilson said in the post alongside a photo of the nipple that had broken off of the pacifier. His spouse, Sam, had removed the object from their baby's throat just in time to unblock his daughter's airway.

Now, he is sharing his story to warn other parents of the hazard and to hopefully encourage the manufacturer to examine the product.

"My main concern is it's an owl dummy (associated with night) so people will be using it at bed time," Wilson wrote. "I don't think my daughter would be here now if this happened in the middle of the night."

SEE ALSO: Parents warned after baby girl suffocates from wearing big bow headband

A spokesperson for Tommee Tippee provided a statement to Good Housekeeping in response to Wilson's post and says the company has been since investigating the incident.

"We produce and sell over 15 million pacifiers globally every year, and it is extraordinarily rare for customers to have issues with the baglet," the statement reads. "However, like all other pacifier manufacturers, we always advise parents to pull the pacifier in all directions and look for bite marks before every single use, and throw away at the first signs of damage or weakness."

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.