Parents warned after baby girl suffocates from wearing big bow headband

Parents are being warned of the dangers of a popular child accessory after claims surfaced of a 14-week-old baby suffocating while wearing one.

According to a report, an infant died in her sleep after a "big bow headband" she was wearing slipped down covering her nose and mouth and cutting off her air supply.

RELATED: See some of last year's most dangerous toys

11 PHOTOS
10 most dangerous toys of 2016
See Gallery
10 most dangerous toys of 2016

Peppa Pig's Muddy Puddles Family (considered hazardous by WATCH due to the potential for choking injuries)

Photo: Toysafety.org

KidsTime US/Appease Toys: Baby Children's Elephant Pillow (potential for suffocation)

Photo: Toysafety.org

Slimeball Slinger (potential for eye injuries)

Photo: Toysafety.org

Banzai Bump n' Bounce Body Bumpers (potential for impact injuries)

Photo: Toysafety.org

Nerf Rival: Apollo XV-700 Blaster (potential for eye injuries)

Photo: Toysafety.org

The Good Dinosaur: Galloping Butch (potential for puncture wound injuries)

Photo: Toysafety.org

Peppy Pups (potential for strangulation injuries)

Photo: Toysafety.org

Flying Heroes: Superman Launcher (potential for eye and facial injuries)

Photo: Toysafety.org

Baby Magic: Feed n' Play Baby (potential for ingestion injuries)

Photo: Toysafety.org

Warcraft: Doomhammer (potential for blunt impact injuries)

Photo: Toysafety.org

HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

After the infant's passing, a friend of the mother shared details of the tragic incident to Facebook imploring new mothers to be aware.

"Putting this warning out for all mums who have wee babies and use the big bow headbands on them," the post read. "My friend has sadly just lost her 14-week-old daughter whilst she thought she was sleeping in her carry cot after a long walk."

"When she came to check on her she had the bow headband down over her wee nose and mouth and wasn't moving.. she had passed away," it continued. "She wanted me to share for other new mums the danger some of these baby fashion accessories can have."

SEE ALSO: Mother's warning about breastfeeding: 'If I had given him just one bottle, he would still be alive.'

The woman, from Glasgow, said the mother was "utterly devastated" by the bizarre death of a baby she called, "Holly," in the post that has since been deleted.

Reports say Scotland police have been unable to verify the details surrounding the baby's death.

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.