Mom warns parents after meningitis rash completely covers baby's body in 12 hours

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Before you go close icon

A 16-month-old baby was rushed to the emergency room last week after a "few spots" on his back completely spread across his entire body in just 12 hours.

His mother, Annabella Hanslow, took her son, Ashley-Jay, to the hospital after noticing he had begun to develop a high temperature and slight rash.

But the dots began to fade, so Hanslow, a 26-year-old mother from West England, says her doctor dismissed them as unserious.

That is, until the "few spots" started spreading into a rash that would cover his entire body.

See photos of the rash:

17 PHOTOS
Photos of 16-month-old baby, Ashley-Jay
See Gallery
Photos of 16-month-old baby, Ashley-Jay
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

Hanslow then rushed her son to the Walsall Manor Hospital after spotting the development, where she found that Ashley-jay had caught bacterial meningitis and sepsis -- both extremely life-threatening infections.

"The rash just disappeared under a glass test," Hanslow told CBS News. "All of the leaflets say [a meningitis rash] doesn't disappear when pressed down."

The glass test is used by pressing a side of a clear glass against the skin where questionable dots or a rash believed to be meningitis has formed. If the rash fades while pressed against the glass, it is widely presumed meningitis is not the cause. However, health officials say this practice is not "fool poof" and has not applied to "many cases."

SEE ALSO: Parents warned after baby girl suffocates from wearing big bow headband

After five days in the emergency ward, Ashley-Jay remains in "poor" condition, with doctors telling Hanslow to prepare for her son's condition to worsen.

He has since been placed on a feeding tube as his oxygen levels are reportedly dropping, causing doctors to place him in a mask on occasion, said Handslow.

"Realizing that I left it for so long is heartbreaking," she said. Hanslow posted photos of her son's rash to Facebook to raise awareness of meningitis and to issue a warning to parents to trust their instincts and to respond quickly if they believe there is something wrong with their child.

"It all happened so fast," Hanslow said. "Please, if anyone is worried [their child] has this, go get checked as soon as possible."

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.

From Our Partners

15 Recall the Kindest Thing a Stranger Ever Did for Them 15 Recall the Kindest Thing a Stranger Ever Did for Them
Man's Wife Leaves Him And Their Kids After A Fight - Two Days Later He Posts This Man's Wife Leaves Him And Their Kids After A Fight - Two Days Later He Posts This
Man Finds 5 Abandoned 'Puppies' In His Garden - Then Quickly Realizes He Made A Big Man Finds 5 Abandoned 'Puppies' In His Garden - Then Quickly Realizes He Made A Big