“This is Mindy’s moment -- her crown and dress are couture Vassilis Zoulias and we had two fittings just for the crown!" explained Marc Mena, her hairstylist.
1. To start, I prepped Mindy’s hair with Dove Style+Care Curls Defining Mousse ($4.88) and blew it out to create smoothness, but with a bit volume and hold at the root. Mindy’s hair is naturally curly, but we wanted to keep it as close to the 1950s with limited hot tools – just a great, bouncy blowout (however I don’t think they had my secret weapon, Dove Dry Shampoo, back then!!)
2. Once the hair was dry, I sprayed Dove Refresh+Care Volume & Fullness Dry Shampoo ($4.88) at her roots, holding the can 6 inches away so it expands throughout the hair evenly. Once that was done, I began prepping for the crown by backcombing 1” sections of her hair and spraying each section with more Dove Dry Shampoo to create a textured base to hold the unbelievable, handmade crown. After taking one look at that crown, I knew that Dove Dry Shampoo would be my best friend tonight!
3. I then brushed her hair into a smooth, low pony with a Mason Pearson brush and lots of Dove Style+Care Compressed Micro-Mist Flexible Hold Hairspray ($4.88). I instantly felt relieved to see the texture and hold at the root, which would be key to placing the crown!
4. Because I wanted her chignon to be a little more dramatic, I added a hairpiece into her ponytail and braided it into one long Rapunzel braid. Marc’s Tip: Spray Dove Style+Care Compressed Micro-Mist Flexible Hold Hairspray ($4.88) on your natural hair and the hairpiece to help marry & blend the two.
5. Once the braid was complete, I began wrapping the braid upwards and pinning it into a pinwheel shape. This is a classic 1950’s style – chic, but not fussy! Less was more here since she has a beautiful crown coming, but I wanted the hair to be the perfect accessory for the headpiece.
6. Now – the main event! I resprayed Dove Refresh+Care Volume & Fullness Dry Shampoo ($4.88) at the top of her head to create one final blast of texture and placed the crown. During the fitting, I worked with the designer to find the best way to secure the crown and we decided on creating small holes on the perimeter of the headpiece so that I could easily crisscross bobby pins and secure on Mindy’s head. She could do a cartwheel tonight – that crown isn’t going anywhere!
7. Lastly, I did one final spray of Dove Style+Care Compressed Micro-Mist Extra Hold Hairspray ($4.88) and Mindy was off! A beautiful, classic look fit for a queen.
(Photo by Mike Coppola/MG18/Getty Images for The Met Museum/Vogue)