Pop music went full Hollywood Thursday morning, when three major stars nabbed Oscar nods in the Best Original Song category.
Lady Gaga, Sam Smith and The Weeknd joined composers J. Ralph and David Lang, who were also nominated for their work in "Facing Extinction" and "Youth," respectively.
SEE ALSO: Oscar nominations 2016: Full list of 88th annual Academy Award nominees
Lady Gaga's nomination comes hot off the heels of her Golden Globes win for her guest role on "American Horror Story." Her track for the campus rape documentary "The Hunting Ground," "Til It Happens To You," made headlines for exploring themes of sexual assault, including her own personal experience.
James Bond themes are no stranger to the Academy Awards -- and this year was no exception for Sam Smith, who wrote the theme for "Spectre" titled "Writing's on the Wall."
The Weeknd's song "Earned It" from the "Fifty Shades of Grey" soundtrack was the biggest commercial success of the trio, peaking at number three on the Billboard Hot 100 and became the newcomer's first top five single.
Listen to all five nominated songs below.
More on AOL.com
Alan Rickman, British film icon, dies at 69
What does Joe Jonas have in common with Paul McCartney in Hot 100 history?
A-list actors who have surprisingly never won an Oscar
The Latest from our Partners
- Mortgage rates drop once again, remaining below 3%
- Refi with no hidden fees/points - as low as 2.125% APR (15yr)
- Do this before your next mortgage payment (it's genius)
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- 4,800 Amazon shoppers swear by Bissell’s high-pressure surface clea…
- This sustainable skincare brand makes healthy products for you and the…
- DSW is offering up to 40 percent off on dozens of sneakers, with deals…
- An Insane card offering 0% interest until nearly 2021
- 7 outrageous credit cards if you have excellent credit
- Cards charging 0% interest until 2021
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…