Not all thrift shops are as cool as the one in Macklemore's video. A New York thrift store had to pay a $700,000 fine after an investigation revealed that Thrift Land USA in Yonkers used fake donation bins to collect free items for its stores. According to WMTW, the company was able to sell the donated clothes to make at least $10 million. The store planted more than 1,300 bins around New York and Connecticut and used the logos of two non-profit organizations "I Love Our Youth" and "Big Brothers Big Sisters of Rockland County." The company only paid very small fees to the non-profits to use their logo, ranging between $100 and $200.
%shareLinks-quote="Duping members of the public into thinking that they are making a charitable donation, when in fact they are enriching a for-profit corporation, is both deceptive and illegal" type="quote" author="Eric Schneiderman" authordesc=" New York Attorney General" isquoteoftheday="false"%
Thrift Land USA had to pay $50,000 in penalties and $650,000 to two non-profits so that the charitable intent of the people who placed clothing in its ins would be fulfilled. You can find the General Attorney's full statement here.
More from AOL.com:
Smart guns fire only when their owner pulls the trigger
How ISIS monitors and restricts internet access in the 'caliphate'
Adele is banned from her own Twitter account because of drunk tweeting
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Lock in a 2.06% APR Refi Rate Before The Fed Meets
- A Simple Way to Pay Off Your House ASAP
- This genius device makes exercising at home so easy: ‘A must-have i…
- Over 5,500 Amazon shoppers love this gel nail kit — and it’s under $40
- The under-$100 spring pieces that get me the most compliments
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!