Not all thrift shops are as cool as the one in Macklemore's video. A New York thrift store had to pay a $700,000 fine after an investigation revealed that Thrift Land USA in Yonkers used fake donation bins to collect free items for its stores. According to WMTW, the company was able to sell the donated clothes to make at least $10 million. The store planted more than 1,300 bins around New York and Connecticut and used the logos of two non-profit organizations "I Love Our Youth" and "Big Brothers Big Sisters of Rockland County." The company only paid very small fees to the non-profits to use their logo, ranging between $100 and $200.
%shareLinks-quote="Duping members of the public into thinking that they are making a charitable donation, when in fact they are enriching a for-profit corporation, is both deceptive and illegal" type="quote" author="Eric Schneiderman" authordesc=" New York Attorney General" isquoteoftheday="false"%
Thrift Land USA had to pay $50,000 in penalties and $650,000 to two non-profits so that the charitable intent of the people who placed clothing in its ins would be fulfilled. You can find the General Attorney's full statement here.
More from AOL.com:
Smart guns fire only when their owner pulls the trigger
How ISIS monitors and restricts internet access in the 'caliphate'
Adele is banned from her own Twitter account because of drunk tweeting
- Latest mortgage news: 30-year rate edges up
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Don't Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Woman’s mother-in-law keeps crashing family vacations: ‘MIL needs t…
- 10 things you can get for under $10 at Nordstrom today
- People in the airport always ask me about these $11 clear toiletry bag…
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!