Healthy baby dies minutes after falling asleep in car seat

Deadly Car Seat Mistake Every Parent Needs to Know About
Deadly Car Seat Mistake Every Parent Needs to Know About

Minutes after a licensed, in-home child care provider buckled 11-week-old Shepard Dodd into his car seat for a nap, the baby became unconscious and soon passed away. The young boy reportedly suffocated to death.

It was noted that just two weeks before the incident, the child care provider was told by the Department of Human Service that "infants are not to be placed in a car seat to sleep." The baby reportedly had no health issues before he passed away.

This is my favorite video of Shepard. It's 1:49 seconds long. I was so afraid of getting pregnant again but when I got...

Posted by Ali Dodd on Saturday, May 9, 2015

Now, parents Ali and Derek Dodd are sharing their story in an effort to warn other parents about the risks of letting babies nap in their car seats. The little boy, who had a runny nose and slight congestion, reportedly fell asleep in the seat. His body shifted in his sleep and his head fell down to his chest. At 11-weeks-old, Shepard was unable to lift his head back up to open his airway. He reportedly died of asphyxiation.

Photo: GoFundMe

Devastated, Ali and Derek want to make sure other parents understand how to properly buckle their children into car seats and that they do not allow their infants to nap in the seats.

More from
13-year-old girl dies from bacterial infection linked to tampons after doctors misdiagnose her
Little girl just wants parents to get along in adorable viral video
92-year-old man sings sweet love song to dying wife