2-year-old boy dies after choking on a grape
On October 9, 2-year-old Jacob Jenkins choked on a grape at a local Pizza Hut. On Wednesday evening, he was taken off of life support while hundreds of mourners gathered on Seaton Carew seafront in Hartlepool in the United Kingdom to release balloons on his behalf.
The toddler was rushed to the hospital after a grape became lodged in his throat during a family outing to Pizza Hut. A first responder in the Pizza Hut attempted to help while Jacob's father, David Jenkins, ran to a nearby movie theatre to get help. He returned with two more first aid responders who assisted in trying to help Jacob until paramedics arrived.
The little boy was airlifted to the hospital. Unfortunately, the lodged grape caused his heart to stop, and he was put into an induced coma. Jacob's parents made the decision to take their son off of life support as hundreds of friends and family gathered to release the balloons. His parents said that there was "nothing else that could be done." All they could do was choose a momentous time to let their little boy go. In a Facebook post, Jacob's mother Abigail wrote:
"David and I want to thank every single person for their support over these awful last few days. Jacob gained his angel wings at 7pm as you all set off your balloons. There was nothing else that could be done for Jacob and as hard as it was, we chose this time because we knew he would be in thousands of people's minds at that moment. I won't be replying to anything and I hope you understand but we are so grateful for the love you have shown our gorgeous angel. Jacob died in mine and his dad's arms with his family by his side. We then went outside and released our own balloons."
A GoFundMe page has been started for Jacob to help with the family's expenses.
More from AOL.com:
13-year-old girl dies from bacterial infection linked to tampons after doctors misdiagnose her
Little girl just wants parents to get along in adorable viral video
92-year-old man sings sweet love song to dying wife