8th graders across the nation were recently given an assessment test, and it turns out that about a quarter of them think that Canada is under the rule of a dictator.
That's according to the test results report published by the U.S. National Assessment of Educational Progress.
Based on the report, France and Australia are also believed to be under an autocrat's thumb.
The actual question asked in the civics portion of the exam was, "What do the current governments of Canada, France, and Australia have in common?"
The correct response was B -- that they have constitutions that limit their power. Over half of the test takers selected that option.
C was the answer selected by a quarter of students and it read, "They have leaders with absolute power."
The remaining students identified the three countries as either being under military control or nations that discourage citizen participation.
Many have interpreted the overall poor showing as an issue with the American education system at large.
Professor Kenneth Holland of Ball State University, however, points out that it could just be a matter of Canada not being a topic that's sufficiently covered in schools.
More from AOL.com:
NOAA Okeanos Explorer discovers deep sea creatures
Earth's temperature paces toward another record-breaking year
What you need to know about the Takata air bag recall
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- You've got thousands of reasons to refinance ($$$)
- Mortgage payoff tactic eliminates 15 years of payments
- 4 beauty editor-approved products you need to shop right now
- People swear by this eye cream for brightening dark circles: ‘No need …
- Is this $300 ‘smart toaster’ really worth the hype? To find out, we tr…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!