A Long Island middle school teacher is recovering after an irate mother and her teen niece beat her unconscious in the school.According to WCBS, 34-year-old Anika McKenzie allegedly walked past a security checkpoint at Alberta Gray Schultz Middle School in Hempstead on Wednesday afternoon and ambushed math teacher, Catherine Engelhardt. Mckenzie says the teacher put her hands on her twelve-year-old daughter earlier that day, though the union says there's no proof that any such incident took place.
Reports claim McKenzie shoved the 22-year teaching veteran against a wall, and placed her in a chokehold until she lost consciousness. At this point McKenzie and her 14-year-old niece, who also goes to the school, began punching and kicking Engelhardt.
McKenzie is charged with with second degree assault and strangulation, and her niece has been charged as a minor.
The teacher is recovering at home but told WABC on Thursday, "It's not like I thought a parent would do something, but I knew something violent was going to happen. I've warned them time and again that the children have no respect for adults. Yes, I fear for my safety. They can't control the kids."
The assault is bringing calls for tighter security at the school district.
More on AOL:
Discovery left homeless man stunned
Dem mistakenly announces he's running for prez
Expert reveals what cats' meows mean
Extermination takes a truly horrifying turn
- Latest mortgage news: 30-year rate hits pause — but still near 13-y…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out of Pocket?
- Need Cash? Take Money Out of Your Home
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- Shih Tzu puppy hatches plan to escape dog pen and outsmarts owner: …
- The Sur La Table Memorial Day sale is on now, and prices are up to 50%…
- Complete stranger shames mom in middle of Walmart for shopping for bab…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!