Man tries to kill bed bugs, accidentally lights car on fire

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...
Man Tries to Kill Bed Bugs, Accidentally Lights Car on Fire

A man was sent to a hospital in New York with first- and second-degree burns after he tried to kill the bed bugs in his car with rubbing alcohol.

Scott Kemery's rental car went up in flames when he lit up a cigarette Tuesday because his back seat was doused in the flammable liquid. According to Newsday, Kemery told police he had heard if he soaked the bedbugs with rubbing alcohol, they would die.

Two other vehicles were reportedly damaged by the heat of the fire, which produced a towering column of smoke.

The clincher for Mr. Kemery? Experts say rubbing alcohol isn't even an effective way to kill bed bugs.

An arson detective from the Suffolk County Police Department is investigating the fire.

More on AOL:
Rattlesnake bites dog that protects woman
Seattle company's CEO takes massive pay cut, sets new 'minimum wage' at $70,000
Invasive lizards in Florida are eating cats

Read Full Story

People are Reading