One suspected gunman reportedly surrenders, two still at large following terror attack on Charlie Hebdo offices



By RYAN GORMAN

One terror suspect has turned himself into police and two are still on the run after an assault on a satirical French newspaper in which 12 people were murdered.

Hamid Mourad, 18, is in police custody, but Brothers Said Kouachi, 34, and Sherif Kouachi, 32 are still unaccounted for, according to French authorities. The trio has been named the primary suspects in the attack on the Paris office of Charlie Hebdo.

The teen suspect's surrender, reported by Reuters, which cited an unnamed official, is said to have happened late Wednesday night at a police station in Charleville-Mézières, in northeastern France.

Several earlier reports from the Guardian, NBC News and French media claimed police sources told them the suspects had either been arrested, dead or a combination of the two. All of those reports have since been walked back by those organizations.

An earlier version of this article claiming one suspect was dead and two were in custody cited the NBC report. NBC claims its source was a senior U.S. official.

"NBC News issued an earlier report based on intelligence from two consistently reliable U.S. counterterrorism officials in different government agencies," the network told Deadline in a statement.

"As soon as it became evident that our sources doubted their information, we immediately updated our reporting across all platforms and continue to do so as this fast-moving story unfolds."

Authorities previously said the suspects fled to Reims, about 90 miles from Paris. An anti-terror raid was carried out in the northwestern part of the city late Wednesday evening.

As many as 3,000 officers took part in the manhunt, according to Le Monde. The trio was named Wednesday afternoon in a warrant widely reported in French media.

Investigators quickly identified the brothers because they left their identification cards behind when fleeing the stolen black Citroen they have been seen utilizing in video of the assault, according to TFI.

Mourad is believed to have been the getaway driver.

A fourth arrest, of a partner of one of the suspects, has also been reported by TFI.

The shooters skipped town after storming the office of satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo in retaliation for a series of cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad, investigators said.

One of the brothers is believed by authorities to have ties to an extremist group in Paris that recruits fighters to send to Iraq, according to Le Point. Both returned to the country late last year after spending time in Syria.

It is not clear which one has worked with the terror recruiters.

This is a developing story, more information will come as it is made available.

WARNING: Video contains graphic content that may disturb

Eyewitness Videos of Paris Terror Attack
Eyewitness Videos of Paris Terror Attack


Related links:
'Je Suis Charlie' message goes viral after Paris attack
Spain increases terror threat level after France attack
Cartoonists around the world show support for Charlie Hebdo