The second Americans finish their Thanksgiving dinners, the football flooding the airways is immediately replaced by a million Christmas tunes. Entire radio stations are devoted to the jingly jangly tunes we grew up loving for a solid 25 days each year. They become inescapable as malls, gas stations, grocery stores and bars blare "Holly Jolly Christmas" and "Let It Snow."
Christmas songs are undeniably important to the holidays -- in fact, AOL.com is running an entire tournament to determine Americans' favorite songs. But have you ever considered how certain songs came to represent the most wonderful time of the year?
Certain songs like "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" have roots in medieval France, and "O Come Ye All Faithful" is thought to be a coded rallying cry from the 1700s Jacobite rebellion.
The origins of ditties made in America during the 20th century are also varied, but many songwriters were driven by the fruits of commercialism. A few of the biggest Christmas hits of the last 100 years were commissioned by department stores for holiday hand outs. "Frosty the Snowman" was created after being inspired by the lucrative story-song pairing of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer." One man, Johnny Marks, made a living by writing four of the best-known holiday tunes of our time.
Take a look at the slideshow and let us know if you were surprised by your favorite songs' backstories.
More from AOL
Video proof of the Elf on the Shelf caught moving will blow your kids' minds
'Naughty little elf' prank makes people scream
Awkward family Christmas photos
Show AOL.com your holiday spirit!
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Get Funds For Your Future With A Reverse Mortgage
- Upgrade your favorite foods with these easy air fryer hacks
- Learn the basics of at-home baking with this perfect chocolate chip co…
- Chriselle Lim is changing the way millennial and Gen Z moms work
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!