A Rutgers student became the first recorded victim to be killed in a black bear attack in New Jersey history.
Darsh Patel, 22, was hiking with four friends over the weekend through the Apshawa Preserve, a heavily wooded area, Sunday afternoon when a 300-pound black bear began to follow them.
The group reportedly ran in different directions from the bear, which caught up to Patel and killed him. His body was found two hours later. Investigators believe it was hungry and searching for food.
Experts called the attack extremely rare...
"All black bears do not act this way."
"You have a better chance of dying on the way back on 287 than having this happen."
...But nearby homeowners say bear sightings are common.
"You're in bear country if you come up here to go hiking, you should be prepared. You should have air horns and bear mace. You are walking in their backyard."
Officials managed to track down the bear and they had to euthanize it.
There are only two other bear attacks on record since 2009. No one died in those cases, but one man suffered a head injury and dislocated shoulder.
More from AOL
WHO: 21,000 Ebola cases by November if no changes
Indian zoo: Tiger killed man who climbed into moat
Lawyer: Uighur scholar in China gets life sentence
- Latest mortgage news: 30-year rate hits pause — but still near 13-y…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out of Pocket?
- Need Cash? Take Money Out of Your Home
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- 5 easy bagel sandwiches to pack ahead of time
- TikTok users discovered a genius neck pillow on Amazon that makes slee…
- Start your day with a decadent bowl of pancake cereal
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!