By JOHN SEEWER
TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) - Just days after his infant daughter's death, Nathen Steffel asked strangers on the Internet for only one thing: He and his wife wanted a photo of their daughter without the breathing tubes and tape that masked her little face.
The response has been overwhelming.
Hundreds of photos, sketches and paintings have poured into the family's northwestern Ohio home and their inbox.
"I'm getting messages in languages from all over the world," Steffel said Wednesday. "It's more than I can count."
His daughter, Sophia, died last Thursday at a Cincinnati hospital from complications of a tumor in her liver, six weeks after she was born in Columbus. She was awaiting a transplant when she died.
Her father posted a message on Reddit asking if anyone could use their photo of Sophia in the hospital and remove the tubes attached to her face and wrist. "Since she was in the hospital her whole life we never were able to get a photo without all her tubes," he wrote.
"It started because I just wanted one picture," said Steffel, who lives in the village of Kalida with his wife, Emily, and their two sons.
He initially was not sure about posting the request online because he was worried someone might respond rudely. "I guess the best has outweighed the negative," he said.
So far, they have received thousands of messages expressing support and hundreds of photos. Someone else is sending a woven blanket with Sophia's picture.
David Valdez, who has been painting portraits for several years, made a digital painting of Sophia within a few hours of seeing her father's message.
"I was having a bad day when I saw this guy asking for a photo. I just started painting," said Valdez, a college student from New Braunfels, Texas. "It brought me some sort of sense of relief to help someone out."
Steffel said his family now has more memories of their daughter than they could have imagined, he said.
"It's kept me and my wife occupied reading all these messages," Steffel said. "Keeping our minds off things."
More AOL Content:
Family outraged over school's guidelines
Incredibly sweet gesture in aisle of store
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $400K Refi in this Economy? 2.0% APR (15 yr)
- Experts Urge Americans to Refinance in 2021
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out of Pocket?
- TikTok is loving this woman’s elaborate work-from-home ‘hack’
- 7 of the best cooler bags you won’t mind schlepping to your next outdo…
- Girls That Scuba builds community underwater: ‘We’re in it together’
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!