Teen gets hepatitis from drinking too much green tea

Before you go, we thought you'd like these...



A health-conscious 16-year-old girl has developed acute hepatitis after drinking too much green tea in an attempt to lose weight. Doctors are now using her case to show the dangers of green tea when not consumed in moderation.

When the unnamed teen fell ill with a kidney infection following a three-month diet for which she drank three cups of hot green tea every day, she went to her GP with complaints of dizziness, nausea, stomach and joint pains. Her GP prescribed antibiotics for a urinary infection.



Two days later, the girl's symptoms worsened and she went to the A&E unit of Birmingham University Hospital. She was told that she was suffering from jaundice. The teen assured medics that she hadn't consumed alcohol, drugs or any type of medication which are all common causes of the hepatitis virus. She did tell the members of the medical team about her three-month green tea binge. She said:

"I had bought the green tea over the internet to lose weight. Most of the ingredients of the tea I bought were written in Chinese. I had only lost a couple of pounds but then started having horrible pains in my joints, and felt very dizzy and sick."

After she was ordered to stop drinking the tea by her doctors, the teen subsequently made a quick recovery. According to the British Medical Journal, infections developing as a result of excessive tea drinking are a "rare but recurring theme."

While green tea is known to have great health benefits, experts warn that some brands may add pesticides to their products that shouldn't be consumed too heavily. The report said:

"There is potential for pesticide-induced hepatitis to exist, especially from less regulated products ordered from developing countries over the internet. We acknowledge that green tea is predominantly a very safe and healthy drink, with antioxidant properties."

Watch this video to learn the benefits of green tea:

How Healthy Is Green Tea?


More from AOL.com:
13-year-old girl dies from bacterial infection linked to tampons after doctors misdiagnose her
Little girl just wants parents to get along in adorable viral video
92-year-old man sings sweet love song to dying wife

Read Full Story

People are Reading