Yard 'floats' after heavy rain

Watch: Yard 'Floats' After Heavy Rain

LAWRENCE COUNTY, Ala. (WHNT) –- We've never seen anything like this –- have you? It looks like someone is 'surfing' on sod that got a heavy dose of rain on Friday.

WHNT reports: Sharon Jeffreys recorded video of her sod 'floating' from three inches of rain that fell on July 18.

Jeffreys lives in Mt. Hope, a community in Lawrence County, off Highway 24 between Moulton and Russellville.

WHNT News 19 Chief Meteorologist Jason Simpson posted the video on Facebook on Saturday, and it spread quickly around the web as several thousand people watched it and shared it. It is definitely unique.

Sharon reported the grass was back to normal by Monday.

Also on AOL:
97-year-old evicted from retirement home for playing his ukulele
Exercise might reverse side effects of sitting too long
Motorcycle riders grant little girl her final wish

janieturnage July 22 2014 at 3:05 PM

I wouldn't walk around on that. You don't know what is or isn't under there.

tdiplaci July 22 2014 at 2:39 PM

Not a smart thing to do. There could have been a large sink hole and he could have been swallowed up.

boardsrbetter tdiplaci July 22 2014 at 4:24 PM

You mean a reverse sink hole? I dont see anything sinking.

boardsrbetter July 22 2014 at 2:44 PM

Its happens all the time with any type of new sod after a heavy rain. Landscapers see it every week.

fwlrcj boardsrbetter July 22 2014 at 8:31 PM

I figured she had sod laid and not the grass grew naturally

Sir. JJStryyker July 22 2014 at 5:53 PM

Hey AOL why are you putting Mexican ads on My American Channel. The spanish have their own channel. I don't speak spanish or understand it. Stop throwing Mexico in American faces.

mgt0331 July 22 2014 at 2:56 PM

It's from fracking. See, it's all coming true. Oh my God, run for the hills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buddwhyzr July 22 2014 at 2:36 PM

A golf course built on a swamp gets pockets of methane gas that does that where I live. When you pop the bulges with a club, the nastiest odor comes out. Also no smoking.

coopdabomb July 23 2014 at 6:38 AM

It's all of obama's BS floating to the top

John Myers July 22 2014 at 5:24 PM

The ground is "pumping". I have seen it many a time, mostly after a lot of rain. Given a couple of days it should return to normal. Somebody mentioned a "high water table" and that can also be correct. There is a sight out here where a 980 front end loader was swallowed up over night.
We have select ed road areas where we can drive heavy vehicles. Do not get off the path or you will say goodbye to your truck.

quincy_maxwell July 22 2014 at 5:41 PM

Looks to me like it's just over saturated, probably a lot of clay-type base and no where for the water to do. Just glides or slides along until it starts to dry and eventually will be absorbed. I'm no scientist, but that is my guess.

ptaray July 22 2014 at 6:05 PM

This happened when I was a kid to the field at my school. water main broke under the dos there and a large part of the sod floated and we all jumped on it until the Principal came out yelling about how we might fall through. sod does not get deep roots and if the ground is not absorbing much… it floats. cool sort of.

ptaray ptaray July 22 2014 at 6:06 PM

opps! the word is supposed to be "SOD:

World Series