TSA fees increase, spark outrage

TSA Fees Go Up: Cue The Outrage

You might have heard TSA fees are going up Monday -- and if you're outraged, it might be because you're hearing it put like this:

WOFL says, "You will pay more than double."

KNTV says, "Security fees are more than doubling."

​KPNX says, "Nonstop fliers will see a 124 percent increase."

"More than double" and "124 percent increase" sounds pretty scary.

To be fair, they're mathematically correct: A nonstop flier used to pay a $2.50 security fee. That's now $5.60.

So it's going up a couple bucks -- a tiny fraction of your total ticket price.

Then again, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution talked to a travel specialist, who points out that families buying multiple tickets could really feel the fee increase.

On top of that, here's the part that rubs some the wrong way: You can be charged that new fee more than once on the same trip.

"It's outrageous," one passenger said.

"To add to the cost for passengers to fly, that's just kind of absurd," said another.

That's because if your domestic layover is more than four hours, your connection counts as a separate flight.

A presumably outraged Mark Murphy -- writing for FoxNews.com -- called that "redefining the definition of a flight."

Murphy also brings up the "taxation without representation" argument. The increase in fees isn't going toward safer air travel. Instead, Congress intends it to help make up a budget deficit by raising an anticipated $16 billion.

The blog TravelSkills reportsthat in 2013, airlines racked up a total of around $31.5 billion with fees for amenities and services like ticket-change and checked-baggage fees.

To keep the new fee hike from hitting you extra hard, we'd suggest going with nonstop flights as much as possible -- or keeping any domestic layovers under four hours long.

Also on AOL:
Starbucks employee faces firing over tattoo
Son surprises mom with University graduation
Deadly virus case confirmed in Massachusetts

Lancer8r July 21 2014 at 1:42 PM

Yeah, sure, I'll bite. I' ll pay you more to feel up my wife, kids and grandkids, and watch the burkhas walk through unmolested. Politicians need to spend more time flying the "friendly" skies.

clwgeorgetownlaw Lancer8r July 21 2014 at 4:40 PM

Racist much? I wouldn't "feel up" your fat wife for any amount of money.

Mike Lancer8r July 23 2014 at 5:45 PM

They do, and are subject to the proc.edures as anyone else

dd1820 July 21 2014 at 1:31 PM

TSA= The STUPID ASSES, the TSA is a godamned JOKE , then aagin SO is CONGRESS what the HELL do you EXPECT.............yet the public KEEPS sending these D-bags to DC....it will change when YOU DECIDE TO CHANGE IT!!!!!!!!!

sports July 21 2014 at 2:34 PM

You let everybody and their mothers over the boarder and then try to peddle this **** how we need the TSA is this a joke.Keep them out of the country AND WE WOULD MNOT NEED ANYBODY ESPICIALLY THE TSA .

tacarey July 21 2014 at 1:43 PM

Just another Federal TAX.

vpqueen July 21 2014 at 2:15 PM

The federal government is like a pig feeding at the trough. If you keep feeding the pig, it will eventually eat itself to death.

billcdaly July 21 2014 at 1:29 PM

But our government tells us that inflation is less than 2%.

eaglephoenix2 July 21 2014 at 5:38 PM

I used to fly a lot. Right after 9/11 it was actually a pleasure to fly, you often had a whole row to yourself. and then, they started cramming every flight so full it was like a can of sardines,, and I would get sick because invariably there were coughing and hacking flyers spewing their germs everywhere. One thing that sticks in my mind - within a couple of months of 9/11 I was in DIA and the woman checking everyones ID prior to going thru TSA was in a long black middle eastern dress and a bhurka that covered everything but her eyes. It almost seemed like they were TRYING to get a rise out of people. I don't fly anymore because it just isn't the same anymore. Its more of a hassle than a convenience.

lv2213frs eaglephoenix2 July 21 2014 at 7:20 PM

Absolutely true. It is nothing more than a cattle call these days. Airline employees are rude and incompetent and it just isn't worth the bother anymore. I'm glad I got to see the world before all this happened.

dvdscrscsn667 July 21 2014 at 1:40 PM

Untill flapping my arms lifts me off the ground, You won`t find my flying.

lindamermaid dvdscrscsn667 July 21 2014 at 2:42 PM

Me too. The last time I flew I got stranded in Chicago (because of the airline) and could have driven to my destination faster that it ultimately took.

Carl lindamermaid July 21 2014 at 7:25 PM

Stranded in Chicago? You're lucky you weren't shot!!!!

Flag 0 rate up
BONNA HEANEY July 21 2014 at 3:11 PM

Thay call it a fee and not a tax ! That way they can say " WE did not increase your taxes " !

chall060383 BONNA HEANEY July 21 2014 at 11:22 PM

The gop has to call it a fee since they continue to promise not to raise taxes but forget that they have to pay for the tax breaks and benefits that they are willing to give out

jp171ntx chall060383 July 22 2014 at 8:14 AM

GOP really? do you believe all that bullshit you just spouted? incase you have forgotten the TSA is under the control of a dipshit named OBAMA and ERIC HOLDER in a democrat assministration. yep its true its true your an idiot sheeple

Flag 0 rate up
leslie July 21 2014 at 1:57 PM

you have to pay extra for cavity checks now if you want them to wear gloves!

skidrowtom leslie July 21 2014 at 2:09 PM

I could care less if they stick their bare hands up my ass. If they want to wear gloves, they're the ones that need go pay!