Starbucks employee faces firing over tattoo

Starbucks Employee Faces Firing Over Tattoo

It's smaller than a penny, but a tiny tattoo of a heart could cost one woman her job at Starbucks.

Starbucks' dress code policy prohibits any employees from having visible tattoos, like this one, which belongs to Kayla, a 27-year-old Barista in Michigan.

Kayla told Fox News she was hired with the tattoo almost five years ago, but it's only now becoming a problem.

She said, "It's a little heart you can cover up with your thumb. It's not offensive ... I don't think it was ever mentioned to me when I was hired."

Even though she's able to cover it up with makeup at work, her managers told her she had 30 days to begin a removal process, or she would have to find work elsewhere.

And while the coffee company discourages workers to display their ink, a realty company is actually offering a raise to anyone who gets a tattoo.

The owner of Rapid Realty is giving employees a 15 percent pay bump if they get a tattoo of the company logo. Last year, as many as 40 employees jumped at the offer.

More on AOL:
Charlie Hunnam talks about leaving 'Fifty Shades'
Son surprises mum with University graduation
Former Destiny's Child member arrested in SC

bps163 July 21 2014 at 10:38 AM

Any women gets a tattoo just looks trashy. They look bad enough on men but a women it's the pit's.

Dianne & Ken July 21 2014 at 10:59 AM

Good, I'm sick of looking at all these tattooed freaks especially in the food industry. My God, do you have so much LOW self esteem that you have to get a tattoo to stand out?

nburke78 July 21 2014 at 10:30 AM

Welcome to rules. I promise you it was not only mentioned, but I'm sure she was given an employee handbook which she signed for. Starbucks isn't a lemonade stand, I think they know what they're doing.

golfnut47 July 21 2014 at 10:39 AM

Finally,common sense overrules this "behavioral lunacy", of covering your body with"ink." When you take a job, you agree to follow the rules. Hopefully, tattoo removal businesses will become as popular as tattoo parlor a.

rhill65 July 21 2014 at 10:40 AM

Good for Starbucks, who wants to go into any public restaurant/coffee shop and be served by someone who looks like they just left prison, because of tattoes. Yes, I believe in " individual expression" but the owners right to dictate employee rules supercedes the right to work there with a tattoo.

ofleck July 21 2014 at 11:25 AM

The main difference between people with tattoos and people without them is simple.
People with tattoos don't care if you don't have one.
Respect peoples individuality or sooner or later no one will have any. The PC police will come for your hairstyle, clothes, music you listen to, etc.....until everyone becomes a good little drone!

lindaforjeh July 21 2014 at 11:00 AM

Personally, I don't like tattoos. Defacing the body with graffiti disrespects oneself and the employer the person represents. As a customer, to see tattoos and body jewelry on a worker negatively affects my opinion of the business. When I see tattoos on a representative of a particular business, my opinion of the business goes down several notches - quality of the business irrelevant.
Hooray for places like Disney, where tattoos and body jewelry are not tolerated.

kwhodges July 21 2014 at 11:14 AM

If they hired her with the tatt and the policy was in place at the time, the company has no leverage. They can force her to cover it up, but not remove it.

Deborah July 21 2014 at 10:45 AM

I hate Starbucks and their entire liberal San Fran Tude. Hope she sues them

dexrmerritt July 21 2014 at 10:43 AM

and now she wants to take issue about it blah blah blah...