People who wear glasses are smarter, study claims

People Who Wear Glasses Are Smarter, Study Claims

Do you wear glasses? If so, a new study claims that you are more than likely very intelligent.

Check out these smart famous glasses wearers:

Researchers at the University Medical Center in Germany linked spending more time in school and achieving higher level of education to nearsightedness.

For the study, published in the journal Ophthalmology, researchers examined more than 4,600 Germans between the ages 35 and 74 that have myopia, the medical term for nearsightedness. They found 53 percent of people who graduated from college lived with myopia, while only 24 percent of people who didn't finish high school had the eye condition. Basically, every year spent in a classroom makes makes it worse.

Myopia is generally caused by the elongation of the eyeball when people are young, but some experts say that by simply going outside and spending time in the sunlight, people can lessen the risk of nearsightedness.

Also on AOL:
Laptop battery explodes and burns owner
Coffee shop operates on honor system
Mannequins to blame for Oklahoma car crashes?

johngin1999 July 02 2014 at 4:07 PM

Maybe the people who don;t wear glasses aren't smart enough to realize they need them? ;-)

Sonny johngin1999 July 02 2014 at 7:05 PM

They are just not as interested in acquiring knowledge.

Ron July 02 2014 at 6:13 PM

I've always heard that too much masturbation will make your eyesight go bad, in which case you will need glasses, in which case you will be smarter. Finally, justification!

larry Ron July 02 2014 at 7:11 PM

Growing up, I heard the rumor, one would go blind if they participated in too much masturbation. So, I thought I would just masturbate untill I needed BIFOGALS.

Dan July 02 2014 at 10:30 AM

Once we hit middle-age we all need glasses at least for reading but we don't get any smarter except perhaps for the wisdom of age. ☺

d1anaw Dan July 02 2014 at 11:35 AM

If you need them due to middle age, it is likely presbyopia rather than myopia. They are caused by different mechanisms.

jejozi Dan July 03 2014 at 1:33 AM

Myopia, nearsightedness, is not the same thing as presbyopia, the need for reading glasses. I know this because I'm nearsighted. lol

dwtomczyk July 02 2014 at 12:30 PM

i thought the condition smart people have is being surrounded by stupid people.

kioskc July 02 2014 at 11:26 AM

I use a monacle, I am only half smart

Sonny kioskc July 02 2014 at 7:10 PM

Or half dumb...............You'll figure it out.

rockymtnhikerCo July 02 2014 at 9:12 AM

Duh,we ares?let me try that again,i is? LOL. I'm a carpenter,residential interior trim,and my eyeglasses have also served as safety glasses(with a larger frame/lens) which have come in handy from time to time,especially when using a router,table saw,electric miter saw,even w/o my glasses.i still get sawdust in my eyes(isn't that the title of a romantic song)?lol but for the most part,they(eyeglasses) have prevented larger wood chips from damaging my eyes

telurico July 02 2014 at 1:00 PM

Now a NEW STUDY claims that going to college is bad for your eyes. Don't drop out. A NEW STUDY, will soon clain that NOT going to college is bad for your eyes.

d1anaw July 02 2014 at 11:36 AM

We probably spend a lot more time reading.

Georgia A McD July 02 2014 at 11:57 AM

More nonsense. I graduated summa cum laude. I have two BA's and an MA. I'm now 80 and only need reading glasses now. I don't know where this garbage comes from but it makes all these studies very suspect.

bjparrish July 02 2014 at 10:07 PM

What nonsense. A huge number of persons who need glasses but live at or below the poverty level never get them. No glasses, can't read. Guess what? They don't go very far in school!

1414200343882