nb_cid nb_clickOther -tt-nb this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';this.setHomePage('http://www.aol.com/?mtmhp=acm50ieupgradebanner_112313 network-banner-empty upgradeBanner
14
Search AOL Mail
AOL Mail
Video
Video
AOL Favorites
Favorites
Menu

Laptop battery explodes and burns owner

Laptop Battery Explodes, Burns Owner

When you think of an explosion, a computer is usually not the first thing that comes to mind. But one woman in Pennsylvania had a big scare when her laptop battery blew up while she was using it.



KYW-TV says, "It flipped my computer back and everything -- like the battery pack and all -- came out this way."

Fox News reports, "My shirt caught on fire. So I [quickly] got my shirt off and that's when I think I singed my hair and probably my face and all..."

Well Loretta Luff then used that shirt -- and water from a dogs bowl-- to put out the fire.

The pieces reportedly flew about 6-feet across the room. 72-year-old Loretta Luff was treated for burns on her face, foot and arms, but she says it could've been a lot worse.

WCAU says, "She's glad she was home when it happened because if she wasn't, her house may have burned down."

"I took my shirt, smothered that out. Then all these little fires started popping up," she said

"I've been a volunteer firefighter for almost 25 years now and fire chief. I'm in my fourteenth. I've never seen anything like an exploding laptop before," Chief Frank Farry said.

It was Luff's first laptop and she's had it for six years. However, she replaced her battery three years ago and wasn't sure if the new part was from Dell.

According to WPVI, Dell issued a statement.

"Dell will take appropriate steps to investigate this incident. Dell tells customers that 'using an incompatible battery or a third-party battery may increase the risk of fire or explosion and that they should replace the battery only with a battery purchased from Dell.'"

Luff says that if she ever gets another laptop, she's not taking any chances and will take the battery out at night.

Also on AOL:
Woman survives being run over by three trains
'Cave home' up for sale in Missouri
Nanny accused of leaving kids in car while tanning

Join the discussion

1000|Char. 1000  Char.
shirley.butterfield July 02 2014 at 1:33 PM

A fan specifically made for laptops is very inexpensive. (Bought mine at Walmart). The laptop sets on the fan. The fan is plugged into the laptop.

Flag Reply +2 rate up
soccer_sucks July 02 2014 at 10:12 PM

I saw this on the news. It was a dell
They are known for over heating

Flag Reply +1 rate up
Greg Schaper July 02 2014 at 8:38 AM

In the unlikely event a lithium-ion battery catches fire, DO NOT attempt to put the fire out with water—use a Class A, B, or C fire extinguisher.

Using water only makes matters worse. If you don't have a fire extinguisher, get the battery outside. Place it in a metal or pyrex container to transport, such as a trash can, baking dish, etc., and place it where it won't ignite anything else.

Flag Reply 0 rate up
3 replies
Brian Workman July 03 2014 at 1:01 AM

DELL will NOT admit any fault and will distroy any evidence found at the scene of the accident! No Recall Will Be Made!!

Flag Reply 0 rate up
GB July 02 2014 at 10:05 PM

I know it's completely irrelevant to the story, but this Newsy narrator, Rebecca Dunn always applies her makeup perfectly. Not too much and not too little.
I miss Carrisa Loethen. She was another Newsy narrator who always looked nice as well.

Flag Reply 0 rate up
1 reply
Brian Workman GB July 03 2014 at 1:04 AM

These narator's are not Movie or TV Stars, there just narator's!!

Flag Reply 0 rate up
Junkmale July 02 2014 at 8:43 PM

She might wanna take the lithium ion batteries out of her vibrator.

Flag Reply 0 rate up
liondog96 July 02 2014 at 8:24 PM

Her SHIRT, right? At first, I failed to notice the letter R.

Flag Reply 0 rate up
I LOVE YOU JENNY July 02 2014 at 8:05 PM

Don't lift your skirt up Loretta!!!!!!!!

Flag Reply 0 rate up
hdgoose July 02 2014 at 7:46 PM

Li-on batteries can do this. Not sure why in this case; but usually this happens when they are overheated. Never put a lap top on your lap!

Flag Reply 0 rate up
Larry July 02 2014 at 7:35 PM

If her laptop burned her, did it cause her to do a lap dance?

Flag Reply 0 rate up
1 reply
Junkmale Larry July 02 2014 at 8:41 PM

No. It just gave her a bad case of fire-crotch.

Flag Reply 0 rate up
aol~~ 1209600

Voting...

More From Our Partners