How to air dry your hair to perfection
If you have straight, fine hair:
- Start with a volume-boosting shampoo and conditioner, like L'Oréal Paris Volume Filler Thickening Shampoo and Conditioner. (Use conditioner only on the ends of your hair; spreading it all over can make it feel greasy.)
- To add lift, work a wide-bristle brush through damp hair, making sure to start at the roots.
- When its fully dry, spritz a sea salt spray into the roots of your hair. This will help remove oil and create texture, Soulemain says. We like John Frieda Sea Waves.
- Flip your head over a few times and apply a finishing spray, like Wella Stay Essential Finishing Spray. "This will shape the look, giving you a light, textured volume," Souleiman says.
If you have wavy hair:
- Start with a texture-enhancing shampoo and conditioner, like Bumble and Bumble Surf Foam Wash Shampoo and Conditioner, to add definition and make freshly washed hair less slippery.
- Work a light oil, like Moroccanoil Treatment Light, through damp hair, pulling it away from the head with a round-bristle brush. "Wavy hair can often have a mind of its own, so this will let you control the direction and shape of the wave without blow drying it," Souleiman says.
- To calm flyaways, dilute a style primer with water and rub it into the ends of your hair. Try Living Proof Prime Style Extender Cream.
- When your hair is almost dry, split it into two sections on either side of your head. Twist from root to end, wrap each section in a circle, and secure with bobby pins. (They should look like cinnamon buns.) "This twisting technique lets you manipulate the direction of waves, resulting in a natural look that's also manageable," Souleiman says.
- When it's fully dry, let your hair down and tousle the waves with your fingers. Finish with a light shine spray, like Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Glossing Spray.
If you have curly hair:
- Be cognizant of using too much product, which can result in a less-than-natural look, Souleiman says. Start with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner to tame frizz without weighing down hair. We like Pantene Pro-V Curl Perfection Shampoo and Conditioner.
- Apply a styling mousse, like Dove Style + Care Whipped Cream, and brush through using a wide-tooth comb, which will help create polished, frizz-free curls.
- Use a small towel to lightly scrunch hair.
If you have thick, coarse hair:
- Creating a moisturized foundation is essential, Souleiman says, and recommends starting with Wella Professionals Luxe Oil Keratin Protect Shampoo.
- Spray damp hair with a leave-in conditioning spray, like It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In Product Plus Keratin, and brush through with a wide-tooth comb.
- Rub two to three pumps of an oil into the palms of your hands and spread evenly through your hair. TryKiehl's Deeply Restorative Smoothing Hair Oil Concentrate.
- For a pretty, whimsical look, create a braid that starts at the nape of your neck. "Braiding your hair will keep you from touching it, which causes frizz," Souleiman says. "And it will give you a loose wave when you take it out."
- When your hair is dry, unravel the braid and flip your head over to add volume at the roots.
- Prevent flyaways with an even layer of finishing spray, and boost shine with a mist of shine spray. Try Redken Wind Blow 05 Dry Finishing Spray and Rene Furterer Glossing Spray.
More from BRIDES:
20 Ways to Throw the Best Wedding Ever
The Top Fall 2015 Wedding Dress Trends
15 Elements of An Unforgettable Wedding
27 Plus-Size Wedding Dresses From The Runway
The Best Wedding Dress Backs