8 ways to spring-clean your body (and your brain!)
Arielle Fierman is a board-certified health coach and motivational speaker who has these cool tips for spring-cleaning your body and brain.
1. Drink water. Research shows that upping your water intake helps rev up your energy and digestion- and can even help give your skin a nice glow. Recommended amount: at least the amount equivalent to half your body weight in ounces. (So, if you're 140 pounds, drink 70 ounces of water a day.)
2. Load up on greens. "Raw, steamed, sauteed, chopped, shredded-no matter how you eat them, they have lots of nutrients that will help make your skin glow, rid your body of toxins, and rev up your immune system," Fierman says. "They're loaded with fiber and phytonutrients to help your organs do their best work. My favorites include frozen spinach blended in a smoothie for breakfast, hummus and veggies wrapped in a collard greens for lunch, and kale sauteed with coconut oil and sea salt as a side dish for dinner."
3. Read ingredients. "If something is fat-free or low-calorie, that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to help you lose weight," she says. "And if a food contains fat, that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to make you gain weight. My rule of thumb: If you can't pronounce an ingredient, your body most likely won't be able to digest it, so focus on ingredients instead of nutrition facts. Your body will love you."
4. Meditate. "When I sit upright, hands on my lap facing upward, for at least one minute and take at least three really deep breaths, I automatically get a dose of positivity, a wave of calmness, and a jolt of motivation," Fierman says. "Play a pretty song with positive lyrics, or sit in silence and just listen and breathe. Your to-do list will seem way less overwhelming afterward. I promise."
5. Sweat. "You must sweat at least once a day," she says. "Choose an exercise that you love-dance, stretch class, biking, swimming-and do it just for 20 to 30 minutes per day. Sign up for a group class or pre-pay so you don't have an excuse not to go. Pack your workout clothes with you when you go to work-or better yet, wear your workout tank under a cute blazer and you'll be half ready to hit the gym later on."
6. Rest. Sleep is one of the keys to a happy life, Fierman says-it refuels your body and brain. "Your digestive system needs time to reboot, and your cells need time to regenerate. You only get one body in life, so you are as important as those late-night emails," she says.
7. Cleanse. "I'm talking about cleansing where you sleep (your bedroom), where you work (your office), where you bathe (your bathroom), and where you eat (your kitchen)," she says. "A clean home, a gorgeous desk, and a kitchen stocked with good-for-you foods will help you feel and look fab. Make your bedside table Pinterest-worthy (add a bud vase and place a fresh stem with a flower; keep it tidy). I bet your dreams will be more lucid and you may even get more restful, uncluttered sleep!"
8. Feel your goal. "Want toned arms so you can feel your best walking down the aisle at your best friend's wedding? Focus on the feeling of feeling fabulous, rather than the arms themselves," she says. "When you focus on how you want to feel, rather than the goal itself, it takes the pressure off and the goal so much more attainable. Write down three feelings and post it up in a place that you can see to hold you accountable."
More from Glamour:
10 Beauty Tricks That Make Guys Melt
10 Most Wearable Spring 2014 Fashion Trends
25 Celebrity Hairstyles That Will Make You Want Bangs
10 Wardrobe Essentials Every Woman Should Own