Portland Veterinarian ‘Thrilled’ After Saving Family’s Cat Who Swallowed Sewing Needle

Kevin the cat, who is "known for his inquisitive nature,” is now back to his normal self

<p>Courtesy of DoveLewis Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Hospital</p> Kevin the cat; Needle stuck in cat

Courtesy of DoveLewis Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Hospital

Kevin the cat; Needle stuck in cat's throat

One Portland, Ore. cat is back to his normal self after a run-in with a sewing needle.

This week, DoveLewis Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Hospital in Portland shared that a local cat named Kevin, who is “known for his inquisitive nature," found himself at the veterinarian after getting his paws on a sewing needle, unbeknownst to his owners.

As previously reported by local ABC affiliate KATU, the cat made its way into a child’s room where sewing materials were left out.

<p>Courtesy of DoveLewis Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Hospital</p> Needle stuck in Kevin's mouth

Courtesy of DoveLewis Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Hospital

Needle stuck in Kevin's mouth

“Quickly regretting his decision, Kevin tried to regurgitate it, causing the needle to impale through his hard palate and extend into his nasal cavity, resulting in immense discomfort and danger,” said DoveLewis in a press release provided to PEOPLE.

Related: Senior Citizens Are Getting Robotic Pets to Combat Loneliness: ‘There’s Somebody Here Listening to Me’

Though the family initially didn’t realize the cat's issues were the result of the needle, they brought him to urgent care after Kevin began vomiting and was experiencing trouble swallowing. From there, they were referred to DoveLewis where it was found that “Kevin needed a sedated oral exam to determine the source of his discomfort and the blood-tinged saliva they saw around his mouth,” per the release.

<p>Courtesy of DoveLewis Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Hospital</p> Kevin the cat at DoveLewis Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Hospital

Courtesy of DoveLewis Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Hospital

Kevin the cat at DoveLewis Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Hospital

“The team discovered the sewing needle embedded in Kevin’s mouth, with the blunt end pressing against the base of his tongue,” the release continued before explaining that the needle was then removed.

Since the ordeal, Kevin has “fully recovered.”

Related: Tom Brady Never Thought He'd Be a Cat Dad — Now He Has 3 of Them (Exclusive)

"Kevin's case is an important reminder of how quickly a seemingly minor incident can turn into a critical situation," said DoveLewis Critical Care Specialist Dr. Hannah Marshall. "We’re so glad Kevin’s family trusted us with his care, and we’re thrilled to see how quickly he recovered."

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.

Advertisement