Shortly after moving into their first home in Suquamish, Wash., Jessie Bates noticed that her husband, John, was becoming perpetually sick, and their son, Tyler, was developing unexplainable rashes. After the family was plagued by odd illnesses for a year and a half, their neighbor revealed a possible cause: Their home was once a meth lab. When the Bateses tore up the floor, they found iodine stains and worse. Toxic chemicals used to make meth had soaked into the house, turning floors spongy. An environmental crew determined that the home was uninhabitable. The Bateses ended up having to tear the house down and rebuild a new one, and Jessie told Fox 13 in Seattle that it would take them 20 years to recover from the financial setback.