A new study is casting doubt on the idea that maintaining eye contact is the best way to get ahead in life.
Writing in the journal Psychological Science, a group of psychologists described a number of experiments they conducted to determine the role of eye contact in successfully persuading other people to your viewpoint. What they found was at odds with most traditional views of powerful body language.
"Popular belief holds that eye contact increases the success of persuasive communication, and prior research suggests that speakers who direct their gaze more toward their listeners are perceived as more persuasive," the authors write in the paper's abstract. "In contrast, we demonstrate that more eye contact between the listener and speaker during persuasive communication predicts less attitude change in the direction advocated."
%VIRTUAL-article-sponsoredlinks%In one experiment, they had subjects watch video of a speaker advocating various views while eye-tracking software recorded where they were looking. Those who focused on the speaker's eyes turned out to be less persuaded by the argument.
Another experiment, in which the subject was predisposed to disagree with the speaker, found that eye contact was counterproductive to winning over a skeptical audience.
We're not sure that we'd advocate starting at your feet at your next job interview. But if you're working on a tough sell -- either on a date, an interview or a sales pitch -- don't think that staring deep into the other person's eyes is going to seal the deal.
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Historic Refi Rate Alert: 2.02% APR. Can you save?
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Crush Your Debt: Refinance to a 15 yr fixed
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- 0% APR Card Offer Now Lasts Until 2023
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast With This Top Card
- Make Money Moves With These Cards in 2021
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program