This was no lazy Sunday for three people who barely escaped an explosion in the basement of their home in the Detroit area. While the cause of the blast is still under investigation, fire emergency personnel say that the home explosion in Ypsilanti might have the result of a natural gas leak. Local Fire Marshall Vick Chevrette said that the home is no longer safe or livable for the family and is so damaged that it must be demolished.
A video above shows the family dog fleeing as an unidentified man, woman and infant also escaped the home at 11:20 a.m. Sunday. The man has been hospitalized with burns and leg injuries and is now under care of The Red Cross. Though crews have checked the area and confirmed that no one else is in danger, local gas company DTE Energy is investigating the explosion. The Detroit Free Press reported a DTE Energy spokesman as saying that it crews at the scene didn't find a leak and suspect another source. UPDATED, 2:23 p.m. EDT: Investigators are looking into the possibility that butane gas from a marijuana-growing operation might have been the cause of the blast, AnnArbor.com reported. The house is among 22 sites in southeastern Michigan where a search warrant was set to be executed, according to a news release by the state police.
See more on bizarre home fires and explosions:
Thief Sets Self on Fire, Crashes Truck Into Home
House Fire Reveals Illegal Drug Operation
More on AOL Real Estate:
Find out how to calculate mortgage payments.
Find homes for sale in your area.
Find foreclosures in your area.
Find homes for rent in your area.
Follow us on Twitter at @AOLRealEstate or connect with AOL Real Estate on Facebook.
- This Year's Best High-Interest Savings Accounts
- The Best States to Retire in 2022
- 7 Crucial Retirement Mistakes
- $50k HE Loan in this Economy? 5.49% APR ($284/mo)
- Turn Your Home Equity Into Cash Before a Recession
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Home Equity Surges: Compare Home Equity Loans
- Age 62+? Take this Quiz to Qualify for a Home Equity Conversion
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps New Home Buyers Qualify to Buy
- 5 Reasons You Should Switch To This Travel Credit Card
- Transfer Your Debt to a Card with 0% Intro APR Until 2024
- Results: Best Travel Credit Cards For December 2022
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold