The dangers of using a generator after a hurricane

Over 2 million people in Texas were without power on Tuesday morning after Beryl made landfall in southeastern Texas. Extended outages due to Beryl could become dangerous after the storm has passed. AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperatures are forecast to top 100 degrees later this week in Galveston, Bay City, and Port Lavaca, Texas.

"The heat can be dangerous for people who do not have power as they work to clean up debris and repair storm damage. Heat exhaustion and even heat stroke can set in quickly if people don't have a place to cool down. Everyone dealing with the Texas heat who lost power needs to have access to shaded areas and drink plenty of water to stay hydrated," said AccuWeather Chief Meteorologist Jon Porter.

Debris blocks FM2031, the main access road, after Hurricane Beryl came ashore nearby Monday, July 8, 2024, in Matagorda. (Jon Shapley/Houston Chronicle via Getty Images)

Having a generator at home can be a huge advantage in the event of an extended power outage, particularly following hurricanes and other severe weather. But if used improperly, the devices can seriously harm or kill unsuspecting families.

Carbon monoxide poisoning, electrocution and fire are all potentially fatal risks of misusing portable generators.

Portable generators produce as much carbon monoxide as hundreds of cars and can kill a person within minutes, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

Carbon monoxide poisoning sends more than 20,000 people to the emergency room each year, according to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). This is why generators should never be operated anywhere inside a home, including in garages or basements.

A 2023 CPSC report showed that portable generators were linked to more than 85 percent of non-fire carbon monoxide deaths associated with engine-driven tools between 2012 to 2022.

"If you're using a portable generator, it needs to be a minimum of 30 feet away from the house while it's running to eliminate the possibilities of carbon monoxide poisoning," said Keith Pinkerton, franchise owner of global electrical service company Mr. Electric.

Even 15 feet away is not enough distance, as wind can blow the odorless, colorless and tasteless gas indoors, says Pinkerton.

The CPSC stated that generators should be operated in dry areas and kept away from windows, doors and any other openings into the home.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recommended placing the generator in an area where it has 3 to 4 feet of clear space on all sides to ensure proper ventilation.

Quickly recognizing the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can mean the difference between life and death. These include dizziness, blurred vision, loss of consciousness, shortness of breath and nausea and vomiting, according to the Mayo Clinic.

People experiencing any symptoms should get to a place with fresh air immediately and seek professional medical help.

GET THE FREE ACCUWEATHER APP

"The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends that a carbon monoxide alarm be placed on every floor of the home and also outside of every sleeping area," said Stephanie Berzinski, Senior Manager of Communications at Kidde," a fire safety manufacturing company.

Scandar Myles (L) and Kendrick Cook start a generator after Hurricane Ida on September 2, 2021 in Hammond, Louisiana. The storm made landfall as a Category 4 hurricane Sunday in Louisiana and brought flooding, wind damage and power outages along the Gulf Coast. (Photo by Sean Rayford/Getty Images)

The risk of electrical shock or electrocution while using a generator can be high following severe weather, especially when flooding is a factor. Pinkerton said using a generator isn't advised if floodwaters have entered a home.

"If the house is flooded, you actually need to try to turn the main breaker off if power is still in the house," said Pinkerton.

"We've actually seen on the news where people sit in water with lights on; they're just fortunate that either the breakers tripped on those outlets, or they're just sitting ducks about to be electrocuted," he added.

People operating generators should avoid backfeeding their homes, which means to connect the generator to power outlets inside the home.

Not only is it illegal, but it can have dire consequences for people both inside and outside the house.

"It can electrocute you, your entire home, your neighbors and the [utility workers] that are trying to restore power," Cooksey said.

OSHA advised never to attach a generator directly to the home or building's structure unless a qualified electrician has installed a transfer switch onto the device.

It's also important to use a heavy-duty, outdoor-rated extension cord, which should be checked for any cuts and tears, according to the NFPA.

Generators and their fuel can cause fires if not handled properly. The devices heat up while running and can take a long while to cool down even after they are turned off.

The NFPA recommended allowing the generator to cool before refueling and never refueling while it is still operating.

Gasoline and other fuel containers should be kept away from the generator, water heaters, cigarettes and lighters, according to OSHA.

The fuels should not be stored inside the home and should be kept away from living areas, OSHA stated.

Fuel spills should also be carefully avoided, as fuels can ignite when spilled on the generator's hot parts.

Want next-level safety, ad-free? Unlock advanced, hyperlocal severe weather alerts when you subscribe to Premium+ on the AccuWeather app. AccuWeather Alertsare prompted by our expert meteorologists who monitor and analyze dangerous weather risks 24/7 to keep you and your family safer.

Advertisement