Yuzu Kosho-Glazed Chicken Drumsticks
"All three dishes were really good. Like, REALLY GOOD," raves Natalie about her Blue Apron subscription. "They were creative, flavorful, and light. I love not feeling like I need a nap after I eat."
For the full post and to receive $20 off your Blue Apron purchase, visit Perry's Plate.
- 2 Tbsp - 3 Tbsp heat-safe cooking oil
- salt, as needed
- 1 tsp togarashi-sesame spice blend
- 1 tsp yuzu kosho
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp ponzu sauce
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 1 1-inch piece of ginger
- 2 scallions
- 6 Ounce turnips
- 4 Ounce shiitake mushrooms
- 0.5 cup jasmine rice
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- pepper, as needed
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place the drumsticks on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Top with all but a pinch of the togarashi-sesame spice blend and season with salt and pepper; toss to thoroughly coat. Arrange the seasoned chicken drumsticks in a single, even layer and roast for 30-32 minutes, or until browned and cooked through (juices should run clear).
- While the chicken roasts, remove and discard the stems of the mushrooms; thinly slice the caps. Trim off and discard the roots of the scallions; thinly slice the scallions, separating the white bottoms and green tops. Peel the turnips; cut them lengthwise into wedges. Peel and mince the ginger. In a small bowl, whisk together the mirin, ponzu sauce, sesame oil, and as much of the yuzu koshu as you'd like, depending on how spicy you'd like the dish.
- While the chicken continues to roast, in a small pot, heat 2 teaspoons of oil on medium until hot. Add half the ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant. Add the rice and 1 cup of water; bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer 14-16 minutes, or until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from heat and fluff the finished rice with a fork.
- While the chicken roasts and the rice cooks, in a medium pan (preferably nonstick), heat 2 teaspoons of oil on high until hot. Add the mushrooms and turnips and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally 8-10 minutes, or until browned. Add the remaining ginger and white parts of the scallions; cook 2-3 minutes, or until fragrant. Tranfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool. Wipe out the pan.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of the yuzu kosho mixure to the bowl of cooked mushrooms and turnips. Add the cooked rice and toss to thoroughly coat; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the same pan used to cook the mushrooms and turnips on medium-high until hot. Add the roasted drumsticks and remaining yuzu kosho mixture; toss to coat. Cook, tossing occasionally, 1-2 minutes, or until the drumsticks are completely coated. Divide the chicken and mushroom-turnip-rice salad between two dishes. Garnish with the green parts of the scallions and remaining togarashi-sesame spice blend. Enjoy!
Compensation for this post was provided by Blue Apron via AOL Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Blue Apron or AOL.