Wintertime “Barbecue” Chicken
By Sarah-Jane Bedwell
If you’re like me, you are already wishing the winter away and dreaming of warm summer days. So, why not recreate a bit of that summer loving to with a recipe that will remind you of the wonderful lazy days of summer. This winter version of barbecue chicken (no outside grilling!) brings those sweet-and-savory grilling flavors that we all love indoors, to help break up the monotony of winter staples like soups and roasts. Super simple to make, yet full of juicy flavor, this chicken dinner is sure to be #winning.
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 0.5 cup Dijon mustard
- 0.33 cup dark brown sugar
- 0.75 tsp ground allspice
- 0.5 tsp ground cumin
- 0.25 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- dash of hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet generously with cooking spray. Place chicken thighs on sheet and roast for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir remaining ingredients together until well combined. Set aside about 1/4 cup of sauce to use for drizzling on chicken after baking.
- Remove chicken from oven and brush with sauce. Then flip over and brush the other side with sauce. Return to oven and continue roasting for 7 minutes. Remove from oven and brush with more sauce and then cook for another 7 minutes. Remove one last time to brush on another layer of sauce and continue cooking for about 7 more minutes or until the sauce is just beginning to caramelize and the chicken is cooked through. Let cool slightly before serving. Serves 6.