Whole Wheat Spiced Butternut Squash Muffins
These healthy spiced muffins are delicious for breakfast since they aren’t too sweet.
- 1.5 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp oil or butter, melted (I used Olivo Light)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 0.75 cup milk (I used vanilla lite soy)
- 0.75 cup + 2 Tbsp butternut squash puree (about 1/2 a large roasted squash)
- 0.25 cup ground ginger
- 0.5 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 0.125 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 0.33 cup white sugar
- 0.25 cup raisins/dried cranberries/currants
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray or use cupcake liners.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine well (vary spices according to your taste buds, but this combo was pretty spicy). Ensure that the squash puree is free of lumps, then mix in the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, mixing only until combined, then gently fold in dried fruit. Use 1/3 cup measuring cup to fill muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Bake 21-24 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Read more from Live and Love to Eat.