Whole Wheat Apple Walnut Muffin Tops
My kids hate to eat breakfast so I'm always trying to find new ways for them to take something with them. These muffins were delicious, filling and healthier than other muffins you would buy prepackaged and they loved them. You could also make this as a loaf bread or regular muffin, but I prefer the tops myself.
- 2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 0.75 cup apple cider
- 1 egg
- 0.5 cup applesauce
- 2 Tbsp 2% milk
- 2 apple (I used Cortland), cored, peeled and thinly chopped
- 0.5 cup brown sugar (I used organic)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 0.25 cup walnut, chopped
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine the apples, milk, applesauce, egg and cider; mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well. Then stir in the walnuts.
- Pour batter into muffin top pans and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Makes 12 muffin tops.
Read more from Carrie's Experimental Kitchen.