Whole Wheat 30 Minute Mini Cinnamon Buns
I made you Mini Cinnamon Buns. Oh and I made them in 30 minutes. Yup, 30 minutes! Oh, and I healthified them for you. So now you can pop like 3 of 4 or maybe even 5 and not feel guilty! I am not going to sit here and tell you that these are better than the real thing, but they way easier and still insanely addicting! Plus, you will not get the sugar comma you probably enter after eating one from the Cinnabon place at the airport! It’s good to get some whole grain in every once and a while!
To make the dough
- 1.5 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 0.75 cup buttermilk
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- To make the dough place the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium size mixing bowl. Stir in the buttermilk until a dough ball forms. Turn out onto a heavily floured surface (if there is not enough flour the dough will stick to the counter when you are trying to roll the dough into a log). Roll the dough into an a rectangle about 1/4th inch thick. If the dough sticks to the rolling pin add more a sprinkle more of flour, but try and add as little flour as you can. The more flour you add the dryer the dough will be.
To make the filling
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 0.25 cup brown sugar (I actually used less)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Spread the melted coconut oil all over the dough and then sprinkle with the brown sugar and cinnamon. I like to use my hands to spread the sugar around the dough, again I ender up using probably a litte less than a 1/4 a cup. Roll into a log and cut into 15 or 16 equal buns (If some of the dough rips while rolling, just pinch it back together. It is no big deal, dont stress!). Place the buns into the prepared muffin tins. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the buns are lightly browned. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes and spoon icing over top each bun.
To make vanilla icing
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 0.5 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- To make the icing mix the powder sugar, milk and vanilla in a small bowl until smooth. Serve with the cinnamon buns.
Read more from Half Baked Harvest.