- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
- 1 Tbsp loose black tea
- 0.25 cup light brown sugar
- 1 Quart whole milk
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 8 cardamom pods, seeds removed from the pod
- 16 whole cloves
- black peppercorns
- 3 Ounce bourbon or rye whiskey
- In spice grinder, pulse all of the spices to a powder.
- In a saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer. Remove from the heat. Add the spices, sugar and tea and let stand for 10 minutes. Strain the chai into a bowl. Wipe out the saucepan.
- Return the chai to the saucepan and rewarm over moderate heat. Stir in the whiskey and serve hot.
Image Credit: Fredrika Stjärne
Recipe Courtesy of: Linda Aldredge