Warm Green Beans and Lettuce in Anchovy Butter
Melissa and Jasmine Hemsley serve their skillet-tossed lettuce and green bean salad warm, topped with a buttery, tangy anchovy dressing. “I could eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner,” says Melissa. “When vegetables are served this way, there’s no way to feel like, ‘Oh, greens, I have to eat them.’ ”
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- chopped pistachios, for garnish
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- sea salt
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 4 heads Little Gem or baby romaine lettuce, quartered lengthwise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 1 Pound green beans, trimmed
- extra-virgin olive oil, for garnish
- In a large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter. Add the green beans, anchovies and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer the beans to a large plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and the lettuce to the skillet and cook, turning occasionally, until the lettuce is golden and crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add the green beans and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Transfer the beans and lettuce to a serving platter and top with the sliced scallion. Scatter with pistachios, drizzle with olive oil and serve warm with lemon wedges.
Recipe Credit: Jasmine Hemsley and Melissa Hemsley
Image Credit: Nicholas Hopper