Warm Chocolate Cakes with Mascarpone Cream
- 8 Ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped plus shavings for garnish optional
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 8 Ounce mascarpone
- 0.5 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 0.5 vanilla bean, split and seeds scrapped
- 0.5 cup heavy cream
- 0.25 cup cake flour
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 6 eggs (3 large eggs, plus 3 large egg yolks at room temperature)
- 6 Ounce unsalted butter
- about 1/2 cup brandied cherries or kirsch-soaked sour cherries
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Coat six 6-ounce ramekins with butter, and dust lightly with flour. Set the ramekins on a sturdy baking sheet. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate with the butter; let cool.
2. In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the whisk, beat the eggs, yolks and sugar on high speed until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the chocolate, then fold in the cake flour just until no streaks remain.
3. Spoon the batter into the prepared ramekins and bake for 15 minutes, until the cakes have risen, the tops are dry and the centers are slightly jiggly. Let stand for 5 minutes.
4. In a bowl, beat the cream with the vanilla seeds, brown sugar and lemon zest until soft peaks form. Add the mascarpone and lemon juice and beat until blended.
5. Run the tip of a small knife around each cake to loosen it, then unmold onto plates. Spoon the mascarpone cream onto the cakes and garnish with the brandied cherries and chocolate shavings.