Warm Chicken Sandwiches with Mushrooms, Spinach, and Cheese
Serving Size: 4
Gooey Fontina cheese make healthy spinach and mushrooms feel more luxurious. The sandwiches can be refrigerated one day ahead (chill the chicken and spinach before assembling).
- 4 ciabatta rolls, halved horizontally
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- whole grain mustard
- 8 Ounce Fontina cheese, shredded, divided
- 12 Ounce sliced white mushroom
- 2 Tbsp chopped shallot
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cup shredded roast chicken
- 5 Ounce baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Pull some bread from ciabatta rolls to form slightly hollow centers. Drizzle ciabatta rolls with olive oil. Spread roll bottoms with whole grain mustard. Sprinkle roll bottoms with half of Fontina cheese.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes. Add chopped shallots and pressed garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add chicken; sauté 2 minutes to heat through. Transfer to plate. Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add spinach; sauté 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drain. Spoon chicken mixture, then spinach over roll bottoms. Top with remaining cheese. Cover with roll tops. Wrap each sandwich tightly in foil. Bake sandwiches until cheese melts, about 20 minutes.
Recipe Credit: Maria Helm Sinskey
Image Credit: Gail Albert Halaban