Waldorf Chicken Salad
Serving Size: 4
- 3 chicken breast halves on the bone, with skin about 14 ounce each
- 2 Tbsp snipped chive
- 2 Tbsp chopped tarragon
- 5 Ounce chopped parsley
- 2 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 2 Fuji apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup red seedless grape, halved
- 0.5 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 0.25 cup buttermilk
- 2 Ounce crumbled blue cheese
- 0.5 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup walnut half
- 7 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp ground fennel seeds
- 2 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp chives
- Make 3 deep slashes in each chicken breast. In a small bowl, mash the garlic, fennel, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the oil. Rub the mixture all over the chicken and into the slashes. Transfer to a small roasting pan, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the walnuts in a pie plate and toast for 10 minutes, until browned and fragrant. Let cool.
- Roast the chicken for about 40 minutes, until cooked through. Let cool slightly, then discard the skin and thinly slice the meat.
- In a food processor, blend the vinegar with the mustard and the remaining 1/4 cup of oil. Blend in the cheese and buttermilk. Transfer to a bowl, stir in the lemon zest and season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken with the walnuts, grapes, apples, celery, mesclun, parsley, tarragon and chives. Add the dressing, toss well and serve.