Vegetarian Chiles Rellenos with Fresh Salsa
Serving Size: 2
These stuffed peppers are healthy and filling. Green peppers are stuffed with hearty bulgur wheat and pinto beans. Topped off with cheese and baked until it melts, the fresh tomato salsa just makes it even better.
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 lime
- 0.5 Ounce cilantro
- 0.5 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 Can pinto beans
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 5 Ounce bulgur wheat
- 1 veggie stock concentrate
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Bring 1 cup water to a boil with the stock concentrate and a pinch of salt. Once boiling, add the bulgur to the boiling water, cover, and set aside off the heat. In a dry pan over high heat, char the poblanos until completely blackened on the outside. Place them in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside to steam.
- Chop the onion, garlic, cilantro, and jalapeno. Juice the lime and cube the tomato. Drain and rinse the beans.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add half the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add the beans, half the jalapeno and cumin. Cook for 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the bulgur wheat to the pan and toss to combine. Peel the peppers under running water. Halve them and remove the seeds and core.
- Place the peppers on a foil-lined baking sheet and stuff them with the filling. Top with cheese and bake for 5 minutes, until cheese has melted.
- In a bowl, combine lemon juice, tomatoes, cilantro, remaining jalapeno, and remaining onion. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Finish: Serve the peppers right out of the oven and top with the fresh salsa.