Veal Stew with Garden Vegetables
- 2.5 Pound veal for stew, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 Can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 0.5 tsp dried rosemary leaves, crushed
- 2 cup Swanson® Chicken Stock
- 0.25 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 bag (16 ounces) fresh or thawed frozen whole baby carrots
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ground black pepper
- 2 cup regular long-grain white rice, prepared according to package directions (about 6 cups)
- Season the veal with the black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the veal in 2 batches and cook until it's well browned, stirring often.
- Place the veal, carrots, onion and garlic into a 4-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with the flour and toss to coat.
- Stir in the stock, rosemary and tomatoes. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours*.
- Add the peas to the cooker. Cover and cook for 1 hour or until the veal is fork-tender. Season with additional black pepper. Serve the veal mixture with the rice.
*Or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
Tip: You can substitute skinless, boneless chicken thighs for the veal.
For more flavorful rice or barley, cook it in Swanson® Chicken Broth.