Vanilla-Ricotta Stuffed Crepes with Orange-Maple-Walnut Syrup
Don’t be put off by the recipe length, it’s just because the directions are very detailed; the recipe comes together from start to finish in about 20 minutes.
- 1 navel orange, with 1 teaspoon of zest reserved
- 4 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp chopped walnut
- 0.25 tsp nutmeg, divided
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 5.5 Tbsp Coffee-mate Natural Bliss Vanilla creamer, divided (low-fat or regular)
- 4 large egg whites
- 4 Tbsp protein powder
- 1 tsp canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut the top and bottom off the orange and stand it upright on a cutting board. Peel it the way you would a melon: using a sharp knife, start at the top of the fruit and cut the peel off in strips, working your way around; use a paring knife to cut the orange sections out. Transfer the orange sections to a small saucepan along with 1/2 teaspoon orange zest, the maple syrup, walnut, and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and turn off.
- Mix the ricotta, remaining 1/2 teaspoon orange zest, remaining 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1 1/2 tablespoons creamer in a medium bowl; cover the bowl and refrigerate for now.
- Wisk together the remaining 4 tablespoons creamer, egg whites, and protein powder in a medium bowl until powder is dissolved. Heat a 9 or 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat; add the canola oil and use a paper towel to coat the entire skillet (save the paper towel and use it coat the skillet between cooking each crepe). Pour 1/4 of the batter in and rotate the skillet around to spread out the batter. Cook until it starts to brown very lightly on the edges, about 30 seconds, then transfer to the oven and bake until fully cooked, about 30 seconds more. Gently pull the crepe out of the skillet and transfer to a piece of wax or parchment paper; cook the remaining batter the same way (you will have 4 crepes total).
- Divide the ricotta mixture between the 4 crepes; roll up and serve with the orange-walnut-maple syrup to drizzle on top.
Inspired by and adapted from Rocco DiSpirito’s recipe for Vanilla-Ricotta Stuffed Crepes with Orange-Maple Syrup.
Read more from An Edible Mosaic.