The Ultimate Southern Fried Chicken
This fried chicken from chef Shaun Doty of Bantam + Biddy in Atlanta is a no-fail, no-fuss version of classic fried chicken with a perfectly crunchy seasoned crust (the trick is the cornstarch) and juicy meat.
- 6 large eggs
- 3.5 Pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1.5 Tbsp garlic powder
- 0.5 cup cornstarch
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- kosher salt
- vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a pinch of salt. In another bowl, whisk the flour with the cornstarch, garlic powder, paprika, crushed red pepper, 2 1/2 tablespoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Pat the chicken pieces dry. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in the seasoned flour. Dip the coated chicken in the egg, then dredge again in the seasoned flour and transfer to the baking sheet.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 3/4 inch of oil to 360°. Set a rack over another baking sheet. Fry half of the chicken over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted nearest the bone registers 165°, about 15 minutes. Transfer to the rack. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Serve right away.
Recipe Credit: Shaun Doty
Image Credit: Con Poulous