- 2 bunch small white turnips, about sixteen 1-inch turnips
- 0.25 cup plus 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Quart water
- 6 clove garlic, smashed
- 3 scallions
- 1 1/2-inch piece of fresh peeled ginger, cut into thin rounds
- 1 serrano chili halved lengthwise, stemmed and seeded
1. Trim the turnips, leaving about 1/2 inch of the stems. Halve the turnips lengthwise and transfer them to a 2-quart glass jar. Dissolve 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon of the salt in 1 quart of the water and pour the brine over the turnips. Cover tightly and let stand at room temperature for 24 hours.
2. Drain and rinse the turnips. Wash out the jar. Return the turnips to the jar. Dissolve the remaining 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon of salt in the remaining 1 quart of water. Add the garlic, scallions, ginger and chile to the turnips. Pour enough of the brine into the jar to cover the turnips. Cover tightly and let stand at room temperature for 24 hours, then refrigerate for up to 5 days.