Tuna Salad with Chickpea Puree
- 0.5 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 0.5 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaf
- 0.25 cup pitted olive, chopped
- 0.5 Pound cherry tomato, quartered (about 1 1/2 cups)
- freshly ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 15 Ounce canned chickpea, drained and rinsed
- 3 small garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp caper, drained
- 12 Ounce canned water-packed solid white albacore tuna, salmon or sardines, drained
- In a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the capers and cook, stirring, until crispy, about 2 minutes. Transfer the capers to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Stir in the chickpeas and 1/2 cup of water and simmer over high heat until almost all of the liquid is absorbed, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer the chickpea mixture to a food processor. Add the cheese, 3 tablespoons of the oil and 1 teaspoon of the lemon juice and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, chopped olives, parsley and crushed red pepper with the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Spoon the chickpea puree onto plates and top with the tuna and the tomato salad. Garnish with the crispy capers and serve.
Recipe Credit: Kay Chun
Image Credit: Johnny Miller