Truffled Mac and Cheese with Kale
Broccoli is a delicious kale substitute in this recipe, or you can make this meal veggie-free for picky eaters in your family.
- 1 Pound pipe regate pasta
- 2 tsp truffle oil
- 16 Ounce Cabot white cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 cup milk
- 0.5 tsp Dijon mustard
- 0.5 tsp nutmeg
- 0.5 tsp paprika
- 0.25 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 curly kale stalks, stems removed and leaves torn into 1 inch pieces
- Preheat an oven to 375°F. Grease a large baking dish and set aside.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 2 minutes less than the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add the garlic, flour, paprika, nutmeg, and mustard and cook, stirring well, until no visible flour remains, about 1 minute. Whisk in the milk, half-and-half and a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking frequently. Stir in cheese a little at a time, stirring continuously, until fully incorporated and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in truffle oil.
- Pour the macaroni into the cheese sauce, add the kale and stir well. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining cheese. Bake until the top is lightly browned and the sauce is bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes. Tastes best served immediately.
For the full post, visit Seasonally Jane.