Triple Chocolate Baked Doughnuts
These are like chocolate cakes shaped like a doughnut. Shape anything into a doughnut and I would probably eat it.
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 0.5 cup any kind chocolate chips or chunks (I used semi-sweet)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 0.5 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Coat a doughnut pan with non-stick spray. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate, smaller bowl, mix together the buttermilk, brown sugar, eggs, melted butter and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and use a rubber spatula to gently mix the ingredients together. Lastly, mix in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter to a large gallon size plastic bag; cut off a small corner and use the bag to pipe the doughnut cake batter into the pan, filling each well about ? full (for bigger sized doughnuts; you can experiment but be careful not to overfill each well or cavity). Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cake tops spring back when touched. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 0.33 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup good quality chocolate, finely chopped OR semi-sweet or milk chocolate chip morsels
- 0.5 tsp vanilla extract
- nuts: almond slivers, hazlenut bits, almond slices, whatever you want (optional)
- sprinkles of any kind
- Place the chocolate pieces in a small bowl. Combine the heavy cream and vanilla extract in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook until small bubbles appear on the outside edge of the cream. Pour the hot cream mixture over the chocolate. Using a wire whisk, gently stir until all of the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Once the doughnuts have cooled a bit, dip each one into the ganache, swirl a little to ensure good coverage and then place back on the wire rack. Sprinkle or decorate with nuts and/or any kind sprinkles and have fun!
Read more from Hip Foodie Mom.